About us....
NEWS - NEWS - NEWS
Preserved Vehicle Register
Rhymney Valley T.P.S.
Invitation to join RVTPS
Welsh Rallies 2008
Heartlands Auto Festival
Preservation Possibilities
Marketplace
Guestbook
On line shop-lorries
Archive Photo Gallery
- Aberdare Corporation
- Alpine
- Bedwas & Machen
- Brewer of Caerau
- Caerphilly Greys
- Cardiff Bus
- Clynnog & Trefor
- Creamline of Tonmawr
- Crosville in Wales
- Cynon Valley
- Davies, Pencader
R.I.Davies & Son,Tredegar
- East End Coaches
- Peter Evans Clwydian
- Eynons of Trimsaran
- Falconer & Watts
- Gelligaer U.D.C.
- Hills of Tredegar
- Inter-Valley-Link
- Islwyn B. T.
- Jones, Aberbeeg
- Jones, Menai Bridge
- Llandudno U.D.C.
- Llynfi Motor Services
- Merthyr Corporation
- Morlais Services
- Morris of Swansea
- National Welsh
- Newport Transport
- Owens of Rhiwlas
- Parfitts Motor Services
- Phillips,Penrhiwceiber
- Rhondda Buses
- Rhymney Valley D.C.
- Richards Bros.
Royal Red,Llandudno
- Shamrock Group
- Silcox Motor Coach
- Silver Star Coaches
- South Wales Transport
- Taff Ely Transport
- West Mon
- West Wales Motors
- Western Welsh
- Whiteways of Waenfawr
- Williams of Deniolien
- Glyn Williams
- coach operators-small
- Seddons in Wales
Exiled to Malta
COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
- fire appliances
- Haulage fleets
- LCV ´s
- Municipal Vehicles
- Welsh Brewery drays
Rally Report-Barry 2006
- Wynns of Newport
- preserved in Wales
Ken Lansdowne Files
Funicular Railways
Rally Report-Merthyr '06
Rally Report-Blaenavon '06
-Bus & Coach Wales-a history
-Swansea F of T History
LINKS - Welsh
LINK - Bedford World
RVTPS MEMBERS ONLY
Members-Museum Plans
Archive Pages
Archive pages
Richard Field FotoFiles
Coleford Gallery
Merthyr Tydfil Corporation Transport Ltd

The history of Merthyr Tydfil Corporation Transport started in 1920 when the Council obtained powers to operate buses , but it was not until  18th August 1924 the local authority commenced operating from Merthyr to Aberfan and Treharris using three AEC vehicles (Nos. 9-11)  aquired by the council when it purchased local independent E. Snow and Sons.   The initial fleet consisted of eight Leyland A13 26-seat single-deckers numbered 1-8  in the maroon and cream with a red waistband livery.  The garage was in Dynevor Street.

A second service started on the 22nd August 1924 , between Merthyr and Heolgerrig and on the 3rd September a service to Clwydyfagwyr began operating. The following year on the 7th May a service from Merthyr to Dowlais, via Pant and Caeracca started, and on the 25th August another service from Merthyr to Twynyrodyn commenced.

In December 1925 the Council purchased J. H. Rees of Troedyrhiwalong with two vehicles, which became numbers 14 and 15 in the Merthyr fleet. In 1929 the Merthyr to Aberfan licences of W. J. Davies of Merthyr and Davies of Dowlais were acquired along with two vehicles from each operator.

On the 8th September 1930 a through service to Cardiff commenced, jointly with Cardiff Corporation . There was no further developements within the Corporation Transport until the advent of  world War II in 1939.    

This resulted in an increase in industrial production, and coal mining locally which required  additional buses and and these came in the form of ten (Nos. 14-23), Daimler CWA6’s, which was an unusually large number for such a small fleet. At the end of the war there was considerable redevelopment in the centre of Merthyr Tydfil and new estates were constructed outside of town areas and the bus fleet was expanded accordingly as new services were introduced. Bristol vehicles were the favoured marque , although a batch of six (Nos. 47-52) Foden PVD6’s were purchased in 1948.

In 1961 new offices and depot were opened in Nantygwenith Street in the former premises of coachbuilder D. J. Davies, who had built a number of bodies for the Corporation in the immediate post-war period. Reduced passenger numbers saw an introduction of one-man operation on 20th March 1966, when the services to Tower Colliery, Swansea Hospitals and to Tair Twynau were converted.

In 1986, with the enactment of the 1985 Transport Act meant that the council could no longer subsidise uneconomic routes and required the Council to set up a private company, which it did so under the name of Merthyr Tydfil Transport Limited, and, although it retained the majority shareholding, it effectively ended over 60 years of municipal transport in the Welsh borough.


 
 
Merthyr Tydfil 101 ( 2101NDW), Leyland Lynx LX112TL11ZR1 51 seat bus which has recently entered preservation in the South East of England.
 
Photo copyright Richard Field
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Merthyr Tydfil 103 (D103 NDW), Leyland Lynx LX112TL11ZR1  51 seat bus seen at Merthyr Tydfil Bus Station  2nd May 1987 a few days after it entered service
.
Photo copyright Ian Kirby
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In 1984 Merthyr Leyland Leopard/East Lancs 159 (EHB 259G) was painted in a special livery to celebrate 60 years of bus operation. The bus was already 16 years old having been delivered in 1968.  Sadly the undertaking (and its subsequent company) was only to last another 5 years or so. Little did we realise then!
28th August 1984.
Photo copyright Ian Kirby
 
 
 
 

 
 
Merthyr Tydfil 214 (WWO 642T) Leyland National  11351A/1R seen at Cardiff Bus Station 18/2/81 in Merthyr Tydfils towns 1500 anniversary livery this vehicle was written off in an accident not long after this.
 
COPYRIGHT PHOTO BY STEVE POWELL.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
Merthyr Tydfil 204(NTX 361R), a Leyland Leopard PSU3C/2R with Willowbrook 51 seat body is seen approaching the bus station at Merthyr Tydfil 02/04/1977.
 
Copyright Photo by Ken Evans
 
 
 

 
Merthyr Tydfil Transport 217 (CKG217V) , a Dennis Dominator with Marshall less than attractiove 50 seat body which entered service in 1979 is seen in Merthyr Tydfil on 14 Sep 1982
 
Copyright photo by Carl Berry
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
Merthyr Tydfil No 235 (OWO 235Y) , a Leyland  Leopard PSU3G/2R with Duple Dominent DP49F bus body with special commenorative livery commemorating William Crawshay II, Ironmaster 1788 - 1867. The bus was seen at  Nantygwenith Street Garage on  29/04/87
 
Photo copyright Ken Evans
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
In 1987 Merthyr Tydfil Transport underwent a fleet makeover when 3 new coaches and 13 Leyland Lynx entered the fleet.  Coach number 2 (D802NBO) , a Leyland TRCTL11/3RH with Plaxton 53 seat body is seen at Cardiff Bus Station on 2nd May 1987.
Photo copyright Ian Kirby

 

 

 







Life after Merthyr........

This  section is dedicated to buses with new operators after life in Merthyr Tydfil.

 

 

After 10 years service in Merthyr, 199 (KDW706P) , a Bristol RESL6L with East Lans B47F  was withdrawn and saw further service up in the North-West with Shearings of Goose Green, Wigan. It was photographed passing through Orrell en route from Wigan to Skelmersdale by Keith Till.

 

Photo copyright Keith Till



.

©2005 David Griffiths