In 1921 T.W.W. Jones, an Aberbeeg collier set up a local bus company and encouraged four of his sons to leave their jobs and join him in this venture which he believed would offer them a better future than coal.
The first route operated between the Cwm Hotel and the Walpole Hotel Llanhilleth.
At this time the vehicles were maintained at Aberbeeg and parked at Warm Turn on the old coal tip, which would become the main site depot for the remaining years of the company.
It wasn't long before the high competition forced T. Webb Jones to move to another route, this time between "Abertillery and Aberbeeg" using the road on the west side of the valley. Further Bus routes came as the business expanded, and in 1924 the Abertillery to Aberbeeg extended to the "Victoria Arms" in Cwm.
In 1925 Jones were allowed to run into the Cwmtillery Valley and ran this service, alternately in a clockwise and anti-clockwise direction. History had shown it was not easy to make a profit on this route. Because of the hilly terrain, people used the service to ride up into the valley, but to save money they would walk down. It was only when the fare tariff was altered to "2d up the valley and 1d down" did the service become profitable.
In September 1927 H.J.Collier and T.W.W. Jones both applied for a service to Brynithel. The licence was awarded to T.W.W.Jones. At this time, Colliers had already appealed to the Ministry of Transport against Jones having both Cwmtillery services and, as a result, Colliers would run the clockwise service.
Mr T.W.W. Jones died in January 1929 and Mrs Emily Jones took over the operations of the buses with her sons, trading as "Jones Omnibus Services". Licences given to Jones under the 1930 road traffic act included:- Abertillery - Cwmtillery, via Tillery Street and return via Alma Street. Abertillery - Brynithel via Six Bells. Abertillery - Cwm, via Aberbeeg. Excursions and Tours from Aberbeeg.
In March 1935, Jones successfully applied to extend their Cwm service to Ebbw Vale via private roads of the now expanded Steel Works.
In April 1939 "Jones Omnibus Services Limited" was officially registered, with Mrs E.A.Jones and her sons as the Directors. At this time Mrs E.A.Jones (Chairman and Director)….Ivor, J, Jones (Managing Director)….Reginald Brynley, William Jones ,Ronald Jones (Ordinary Director).
Like many similar companies , Jones had vehicles requisitioned by the Ministry of Transport during the war period and two AEC Regal Coaches were requisitioned in1937.
In May 1947 Jones were granted the route between Ebbw Vale and Newport, via Llanhilleth and Pontypool. After an application, the Traffic Commissioners withdrew the protective fares on the Cwm - Ebbw Vale section and also allowed picking up between Pontypool and Newport after 1.00pm, on weekdays and all day on Saturday. This heralded a rapid build-up of fleet strength to more than treble that which had been throughout the war.
Tragedy hit the company on March 12th 1950, three of the directors were killed in a 'plane accident. The three brothers were Ivor, William and Brynley Jones, and they were returning from a Rugby International in Ireland. With this huge loss to the company Ron Jones was appointed managing director and the three widows received their late husbands shares. The company continued to expand under the directorship of Ron Jones, especially in the private hire areas.
During April 1969, after a history of family unrest, the decision to offer the company to National Bus Company was made. Along with it's 43 Vehicles, a and some 50 services were also held at the time of sale. No change occurred in the livery until 1973 when coaches received White with Blue flashes and the once familiar "Jones" colours started to slowly disappear